"Drive" (ドライブ Doraibu) is a value that determines the number of drive checks your unit is able to peform while attacking. Aside from drawing effects and the draw phase, drive checks are the main way to increase the player's hand. Performing a drive check is also referred to how a new ally joins the player's army.
By default, only one drive check is prefomed per attack, however, some effects may modify the number of drive checks a unit can perform (usually stated as drive+n or drive-n). If your unit's drive becomes 0 or less, then it does not perform any drive checks while attacking.
Vanguards with the ability to stand themselves generally get a minus in drive as a way to prevent the player from drive checking too many cards. This is commonly seen on Stride G units. In older grade 3 normal units, such units instead lose "Twin Drive!!", thus retaining a single drive check.
"Drive Check" is a game mechanic a player must perform when their unit has declared an attack. "Drive Check" is performed during a battle's drive step, which comes after the guard step.
By default, only your vanguard (or Legion Leader in that case) is able to perform drive checks, but it's also possible to have a rear-guard perform a drive check. In that case, the drive step applies to that unit.
Unless a continuous effect is causing otherwise, you perform the process below for a drive check:
- Reveal the top card of your deck and put it into the trigger zone face up.
- If that card has a trigger effect, resolve all of its actions immediately, in any order.
- After that, resolve all abilities that were activated by the drive check in any order.
- If the card is still in the trigger zone, put that card into your hand.
- Repeat this process as many times as the number of your attacking unit's drive checks.
In Skill icons
Currently, there are two skills which modify the normal amount of drive checks.
- Twin Drive!! : Increases the unit's drive check by 1.
- Triple Drive!!! : Increases the unit's drive check by 2.
Mechanics Related to Drive