"Riding" (ライド Raido) is the act of placing a unit from a non-circle zone onto your vanguard circle. There are two ways to ride a unit regarding effects and game rules: Normal Ride (ノーマルライド Nōmaruraido) and Superior Ride (スペリオルライド Superioruraido). As long as a unit has been moved from a non-circle zone to a circle, then it is considered to be "placed on" (
Once per turn, during the ride step of your ride phase, if there are no effects being resolved at the moment, you may normal ride by performing the following sequence:
- Choose a unit card from your hand with a grade that is one greater than or equal to your vanguard's.
- Declare what you're doing ("I ride [name of unit]" for example), place that card on top of all cards on your vanguard circle in [Stand] state, then the unit that was placed becomes your new vanguard. Any states that were on your vanguard (such as a temporary [Power] increase) no longer persist on your new vanguard.
- All of your "when placed on" and "when rides" abilities are activated at the same time, and you choose the order to resolve them in (paying any required costs).
- The unit that was previously on your vanguard circle is put into your soul.
After riding a card, or if you chose not to ride any card, proceed to the stride step of your ride phase.
Riding a unit on your vanguard circle by using an effect is known as "Superior Ride." Due to being an effect, it ignores the grade that your vanguard should have in order to ride normally, unless otherwise specified. Unlike normal ride, there is no limit to the number of times you may perform a superior ride in a turn and no restriction as to what part of the turn you must perform it in. The unit that rode by an effect is always put in [Stand] state unless otherwise specified.
Mechanics Related to Ride
List of Support Cards
Note: Break Rides and Forerunners are not listed.
|Zeroth Dragon of Inferno, Drachma||Dragon Empire||Zeroth Dragon|
List of Anti-support Cards
|Drangal||Royal Paladin||High Beast|
|Godhawk, Ichibyoshi||Oracle Think Tank||High Beast|
|Goddess of the Crescent Moon, Tsukuyomi||Oracle Think Tank||Noble|
|Knight of Quests, Galahad||Royal Paladin||Human|
|Goddess of the Half Moon, Tsukuyomi||Oracle Think Tank||Noble|
|Knight of Tribulations, Galahad||Royal Paladin||Human|
|Dueling Dragon, ZANBAKU||Murakumo||Abyss Dragon|
- Unlike popular beliefs (and anime), White Hare in the Moon's Shadow, Pellinore's act of putting itself on the vanguard circle does not count as riding.
- In the anime, some characters like Toshiki Kai that has their own phrase will say "Ride (phrase) Vanguard!"
- In the manga, all characters include the phrase "The Vanguard!" after saying the card name of the unit.