"Trigger" (トリガー Torigā) is the defining characteristic of trigger units. Trigger units are a type of unit with a yellow card frame, and are all grade 0 (with the exception of two cards, one of which is not tournament-legal).
Each trigger unit has a trigger icon located at the top right of the card. When the card is revealed for a trigger check, the trigger icon activates, providing a [Power] boost and an additional effect.
During deck construction, a deck must contain exactly 16 trigger units, with a maximum of four heal triggers (even if they have different card names).
How it Works
- A trigger effect activates while it is in the trigger zone after being revealed for a trigger check. A trigger check is performed by putting the top card of the player's deck into his or her trigger zone, and if that card has a trigger effect, it activates immediately. After resolving all effects activated, regardless of whether the card has a trigger effect or not, if the card is still in the trigger zone, it is immediately moved to another zone depending on the type of trigger check:
- Damage Check: Put the card face up into your damage zone.
- Drive Check: Put the card into your hand (this is not considered "drawing a card").
- When a player must check for multiple triggers at once, perform each trigger check separately before revealing the card for the next check. For example, if a player must perform two trigger checks and his first trigger check reveals a draw trigger, the player will draw one card before performing the second trigger check.
- To activate a trigger effect, the player must have at least one vanguard or rear-guard with the same clan as the trigger unit. However, the trigger effect does not have to be applied to a unit of the same clan as the trigger unit.
- Trigger effects must always be activated if possible. Therefore, if a heal trigger is activated, you must heal one damage if you fulfilled the condition, even if it causes an effect to disappear, such as a [CONT] Limit Break.
- If "Battleraizer" is revealed and the player has one or more «Nova Grappler» units present, the trigger effect activates.
- If "Grim Reaper" is revealed by "Alfred Early" and the player has "Blaster Dark" as a rear-guard, the trigger effect activates since a «Shadow Paladin» unit is present.
- If "Dragon Monk, Genjo" is revealed by "Mr. Invincible" but the player does not have any «Kagero» rear-guards present, the trigger effect does not activate.
A trigger icon represents two effects. The primary effect is, "Choose one of your units, and that unit gets [Power] +X until end of that turn." "X" is the value indicated on the trigger icon itself: 5000 for triggers released prior to Series and 10000 for those released after.
The secondary effect depends on the type of trigger icon. The two effects are considered separate, so the [Power] increase and the trigger's other effect may be applied to two different units if the player wants to, and in any order the player wants. The different secondary trigger effects are:
|Critical||Choose one of your units, and that unit gets [Critical] +1 until the end of turn.|
|Draw||Draw a card.|
|Front||||All of the units in your front row gain [Power] +X until end of turn. Unlike other triggers, this effect is a replacement for the trigger's primary effect, which also means you do not choose any units for this trigger effect.|
|Heal||If you have equal or more cards in your damage zone than your opponent, choose a card in your damage zone, and heal it (put it into your drop zone).|
|Stand||||Choose one of your units, and if it is a rear-guard, [Stand] it.|
In Cardfight!! Vanguard ZERO
As there are no grade 0 cards in Cardfight!! Vanguard ZERO except first vanguards, trigger effects are instead assigned to grade 3 cards. During deck construction, the player may assign any trigger icons they want to their grade 3 cards, but may still only have up to four [Heal] triggers and for each other type up to nine of that type.
When a drive check reveals a trigger effect, that card is put into the drop zone instead of their hand after resolving its effects; all other cards revealed for a trigger check are put on the bottom of the deck. When a trigger is activated during a damage check, the [Power] is automatically given to the player's vanguard.
Frequently Asked Question
- Question: If I reveal a heal trigger for a damage check while I have one damage and my opponent has two damage, can I heal?
Answer: No, since the heal trigger is in your trigger zone while its effect is being resolved.
- Question: If an effect causes a card to be put into a player's damage zone, is it a damage check?
Answer: Unless otherwise specified in that effect, it is not a damage check.
Keywords involving Trigger checks
List of Trigger Unit Support Cards
|Unbounded Colossus||Gear Chronicle||Gear Colossus|
|Victorious Deer||Oracle Think Tank||High Beast|
|Chief Deity of the Heavens, Amaterasu||Oracle Think Tank||Noble||G unit (Stride)|
|Eclipse Dragonhulk, Jumble Dragon||Granblue||Skeleton||G unit (Stride)|
|Retroactive Time Maiden, Uluru||Gear Chronicle||Gearoid||G unit (G guardian)|
List of Anti-Support
|Decaydal Automata||Link Joker||Cyber Golem|
|Wandering Starhulk Ruler, Brandt||Link Joker||Alien|
|Wandering Starhulk Ruler, Brandt (V Series)||Link Joker||Alien|
|Wandering Starhulk Deity, Brandt Ringer||Link Joker||Alien|
- With the introduction of Booster Set 11: Seal Dragons Unleashed, there are triggers that you can have up to sixteen copies in a deck, bypassing the usual rule of up to four copies in the deck. Currently, the only cards than can do this are Mass Production Sailor and Machining Cicada.
- In the first series anime season 1, episode 2, it is shown that Aichi's Yggdrasil Maiden, Elaine has 6000 [Power]. This was likely an accident, or it could have been possible that Bushiroad was still considering at that moment whether a trigger should have the same power as normal grade 0 units. It is also possible that the mistake was intentional, as Elaine's boost would allow Gallatin to reach 16000 [Power], enough to force a 10000 [Shield] by Kai when his Dragonic Overlord was attacked.
- Starting with Booster Set 6: Breaker of Limits and Extra Booster 8: Champions of the Cosmos, every booster pack is guaranteed to contain one common trigger unit.
- In the manga, when the card revealed by a check is not a trigger, it is called "blank trigger".