Trigger (トリガー Torigā) is the defining characteristic of trigger cards. Triggers are a type of card with a yellow card frame, and are all grade 0 (with some exceptions). Each trigger card has a trigger icon located at the top right of the card.
During deck construction, a deck must contain exactly 16 trigger cards, with a maximum of four [Heal] triggers (regardless of their card names) and a maximum of one [Over] trigger.
How it Works
- A trigger effect activates in the trigger zone after being revealed by a trigger check. A trigger check is performed by putting the top card of the player's deck into his or her trigger zone, and if that card has a trigger effect, it activates immediately. After resolving all effects activated, regardless of whether the card has a trigger effect or not, if the card is still in the trigger zone, it is immediately moved to another zone depending on the type of trigger check:
- Damage Check: Put the card face up into your damage zone.
- Drive Check: Put the card into your hand (this is not considered "drawing a card").
- When a player must check for multiple trigger checks at once, they perform each check one at the time. For example, if a player must perform two trigger checks and their first check reveals a [Draw] trigger, that player must draw a card and decide which unit to apply the [Power] increase to before performing the second check.
- To activate a trigger effect, the player must have at least one vanguard or rear-guard with the same clan as the trigger card. However, the trigger effect does not have to be applied to a unit of the same clan as the trigger card.
- Trigger effects are mandatory to activate if possible. Therefore, if a heal trigger is activated, you must heal one damage if you fulfill the condition, even if it causes an effect to disappear, such as a [CONT] Limit Break.
- A trigger effect can also be activated outside a trigger check by a unit's ability that has it specified.
- If "Battleraizer" is revealed and the player has one or more «Nova Grappler» units on the field, the trigger effect activates.
- If "Grim Reaper" is revealed by "Alfred Early" and the player has "Blaster Dark" as a rear-guard, the trigger effect activates since a «Shadow Paladin» unit is on the field.
- If "Dragon Monk, Genjo" is revealed by "Mr. Invincible" but the player does not have any «Kagero» rear-guards on the field, the trigger effect does not activate.
A trigger icon represents two effects. The primary effect is "Choose one of your units, and that unit gets [Power] +X until end of turn", where "X" is the value indicated on the trigger icon itself: 5000 for triggers released prior to Series; 10000 for triggers released in Series onwards; and 100 Million for [Over] triggers.
The secondary effect depends on the type of trigger icon. The two effects are considered separate, so the [Power] increase and the trigger's other effect may be applied to two different units if the player wants to, and in any order the player wants. The different secondary trigger effects are:
|Critical||Choose one of your units, and that unit gets [Critical] +1 until end of turn.|
|Draw||Draw a card.|
|Front||||All of the units in your front row gain [Power] +X until end of turn. Unlike other triggers, this effect is a replacement for the trigger's primary effect, which also means you do not choose any units for this trigger's effect.|
|Heal||If you have equal or more cards in your damage zone than your opponent, choose a card in your damage zone, and heal it (put it into your drop zone). Limit 4 heal triggers per deck.|
|Stand||||Choose one of your units, and if it is a rear-guard, [Stand] it.|
|Over||||Remove this card from the game and draw a card. If revealed during a drive check, apply the additional effect described in this card's text. Limit 1 over trigger per deck.|
Note that because this card removes itself from the game, it won't end up in your hand or damage zone as a result of a trigger check. This means that it effectively cancels 1 damage if revealed from a damage check.
In Cardfight!! Vanguard ZERO
As there are no grade 0 cards in Cardfight!! Vanguard ZERO except first vanguards, trigger effects are instead assigned to grade 3 and 4 cards.
- During deck construction, the player may assign trigger icons to the grade 3 and 4 cards in their deck in any way they want. A player may have up to four [Heal] triggers and up to nine of any combination of other trigger types ([Critical], [Draw], [Stand]).
- When a trigger effect is activated by a drive check, the card is put into the drop zone instead of their hand after resolving its effects; non-trigger cards are put on the bottom of the deck after being revealed.
- When a trigger effect is activated by a damage check, the [Power] is automatically given to the player's vanguard.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: If I reveal a heal trigger for a damage check while I have one damage and my opponent has two damage, can I heal?
Answer: No, since the heal trigger is in your trigger zone while its effect is being resolved.
- Question: If an effect causes a card to be put into a player's damage zone, is it a damage check?
Answer: Unless otherwise specified in that effect, it is not a damage check.
Keywords Involving Trigger Checks
List of Trigger Unit Support Cards
|Unbounded Colossus||Gear Chronicle||Gear Colossus|
|Victorious Deer||Oracle Think Tank||High Beast|
|Chief Deity of the Heavens, Amaterasu||Oracle Think Tank||Noble||G unit (Stride)|
|Eclipse Dragonhulk, Jumble Dragon||Granblue||Skeleton||G unit (Stride)|
|Retroactive Time Maiden, Uluru||Gear Chronicle||Gearoid||G unit (G guardian)|
List of Anti-Support
|Decaydal Automata||Link Joker||Cyber Golem|
|Wandering Starhulk Ruler, Brandt||Link Joker||Alien|
|Wandering Starhulk Ruler, Brandt (V Series)||Link Joker||Alien|
|Wandering Starhulk Deity, Brandt Ringer||Link Joker||Alien|
- With the introduction of Booster Set 11: Seal Dragons Unleashed, there are triggers that you can have up to sixteen copies in a deck, bypassing the usual rule of up to four copies in the deck. Currently, the only cards than can do this are "Mass Production Sailor" and "Machining Cicada".
- In the first series anime season 1, episode 2, it is shown that Aichi's "Yggdrasil Maiden, Elaine" has 6000 [Power], while in the physical game, Elaine has 5000 [Power]. This was likely an accident, or it could have been possible that Bushiroad was still considering whether a trigger unit should have the same [Power] as normal grade 0 units. It is also possible that the mistake was intentional, as Elaine's boost allowed Gallatin to reach 16000 [Power], enough to force a 10000 [Shield] by Kai when his "Dragonic Overlord" was attacked.
- Starting with Booster Set 6: Breaker of Limits and Extra Booster 8: Champions of the Cosmos, every booster pack is guaranteed to contain one common-rarity trigger unit.
- In the manga, when the card revealed by a check is not a trigger, it is called "blank trigger".
- The block that the trigger icon is depicted as resting on was black in the original Cardfight!! Vanguard series. It was changed to silver with Series, and back to black with Series.